In the U.S., amateur radio is primarily authorized because of the
potential for emergency communications. It is listed as the first of the
5 principles and I always point that out when I teach an entry level
class for potential new hams. I would not weigh the 5 principles as
equal, but rather as supporting the overall concept.

My understanding is that in some countries, amateur radio is considered
more of a hobby to provide activities for the citizens. In the past,
Japan had a low power HF license without a CW requirement even though
this conflicted with international agreements. Their view was that this
was good government policy and took precedence over agreements that they
had signed.

The MURS and FRS services here in the U.S. are intended for personal use
and emergency use, not so much as a hobby in themselves. (A hobby is a
spare time, recreational activity). The MURS and FRS may support a hobby
such as hunting, outdoor recreation, but may also facilitate family
activities such as in a shopping mall or large convention center. But
you don't have to know much about radio or communications so there is
little focus on the medium itself as a hobby as it is a means to an end.

By the way, MURS has some interesting potential since it also allows
some data transmissions and you can use external antennas with maximum 2
watts output and since the frequency is close to 2 meters, it can be
used similar to 2 meter simplex. There are only 5 channels so things
could get congested if this mode ever became popular. At this time the
general public is not aware of the service and equipment is not easy to
find.

The final analysis is that here in the U.S., amateur radio is an
activity that is promoted by the government due to the 5 principles.
Self improvement in radio communications is a "hobby" or avocation, no
different than learning other hobby disciplines. The only difference
being that you have to be licensed by the government to take part in
transmitting a signal.

An active radio amateur will participate in most of these principles at
one time or another. Those who have a casual interest, will not acquire
the same knowlege and ability and the more active participants.