I should add here that offcial enegency organisations can easiliy cover the cost of an HF rig, PC, and antenna...even an ALE tranceiver.  Various Homeland Secuirty grants are availble, in fact one organisation I am employed with has had difficulty spending all the $$$$ that has been thrown our way.  Ameteur Radio groups affiliated with RACES/ARES, Hospitals, etc, will find it quite easy to get additional equipment via the host agency (not directly).  Repeatedly,  Federal offcials have emphsized that local disaster officals need to have affiliations with ameteur radio groups.  If fact I was just contacted by a hospital with $$$$ for amateur radios but no amateur radio ops in their community!

So, ARES/RACES/Red Cross/SATERN groups will likely have all the abilities required of a good emergency communications group.  These agencies will then depend on lone hams to fill in the network where needed.  A $350 amateur transceiver (used), an old PC with a soundcard, and a free copy of PC-ALE  will make for a good "make-do" emergency system.  My clunky 17 year obsolete radio will scan 3-4 channels fairly efficiently, not really great but will do in a pinch.

But...to heck with emergency communications (important though it may be).  What about plain on "fun" radio ?  It seems to me that ALE is the only current system where one can scan known/designated HF frequencies , pause when it hears a signal, locate a specific call sign, and eventually learn where on the spectrum they are most likely to locate an individual call sign.

--
Andy K3UK
Fredonia, New York.

Need a Digital mode QSO? Connect to  Telnet://cluster.dynalias.org