KV9U wrote:

>  Interesting comments. It always seems that there is nothing new that
>  is totally perfect compared to existing equipment due to the
>  tradeoffs that often occur.

Tradeoffs are a central part of engineering.

>The SDR-1000 does look really interesting
>  as a general purpose receiver that has some excellent IMD numbers and
>  may be used (with the right programming) for reception of DRM, etc.
>  My long term plan is to purchase the rig, although I never buy too
>  early on the "bleeding edge."
>
>  The latency issue is a drawback that does not seem to be solved at
>  this time. It is not going to compare with rigs that have superior
>  QSK (e.g., Ten Tec). But most of us do not really find QSK all that
>  compelling. Incidentally, even Ten Tec has had difficulty with QSK
>  quality with their Orion series rigs which are heavily SDR designed.
>
>  Is it fair to say that the carrier suppression is going to be lower
>  than conventional rigs due to the DC (Direct Conversion) design?

I believe it depends on the circuitry, and frequency of operation.

>  I might mention, that some time back, during an ARRL product review
>  (can't remember the rig), the comment was made that, if anything, the
>  DSP rigs tended to have unusual Dynamic Range characteristics that
>  may perform better in actual use than in just looking at the test
>  numbers. I am not sure if I accept that fully, but it makes one
>  wonder. Although the ICOM IC-7000 has some of the worst IMD DR of any
>  recent rigs, many users really like the rig and find it performs
>  fairly well.

I don't think so. The Quadrature Sampling Detector shows such impressive
numbers because
"the mixer" is nothing else but a chopper with high speed switches that
accepts signal amplitudes
up to almost Vdd on the switch chip, say, 4 V peak to peak wit 5 volts.
I used 4066's on 40 meters
with 12 volts and it works impressively well in a band full of high
power broadcast stations. On 30
meters, 4066's begin to be too slow and the results begin to be flaky. I
could not get faster switches.

But dynamic range is not a property of the software, it is the
particular hardware solution of the SDR1000
and Softrock 40. If you change the mixer to baseband, you are stuck with
its properties. If you alter the gain
distribution, power supply voltages, etc, it all is going to change.

What can be warranted in an SDR is the mathematical treatment of signals
in the digital domain, after they are
digitalized. The quality of the ADC's also counts. And mathematical
treatment costs latency, because processing
and  particularly, filtering, is done with memorized samples added up
with certain coefficient ratios. On a radio
there will always be parameters defined by the hardware, and signal
treatments that are only possible one way
or another, that is, the analog way or the digital way. An SDR is a
mixture of things, and the quality of the whole
results depends on the quality of the components of the system, that is,
hardware and software.

The results obtained by inadequate performing hardware can hardly be
improved on the digital domain. You
need clean signals to obtain clean results. Attenuators and good filters
are still needed and 16 bit ADC's cannot go
beyond some 96 dB's (roughly 2 ^16 times). To obtain a larger dynamic
range you need more bits, or some trick
like controlled attenuation before the ADC. It depends on your
application and what you are willing to accept.

>  Because the SDR is truly open source software, it is exciting that
>  this will not be a closed proprietary design that we have seen from
>  pretty much everyone else. And that includes the potential of digital
>  mode operation. While there is nothing yet that is so compelling you
>  just have to have one, that may eventually come about depending upon
>  your interests.

A PC based design depends on the latencies and delays imposed by the
operating system.

That is what makes the HPDSR so interesting, because it will have an
operating system taylored
to a radio, and not a general purpose OS like Windows on a PC. On Linux,
a real time kernel MIGHT
give some improvement to the tasks defined to be done on real time on a
particular combination of
CPU, memory and motherboard chipset.

Nevertheless, the concept of doing the radio software tasks on dedicated
hardware and software
is a winner, it is "distributed computing", sort of what we had with
TNC's and early PC's. Those who
wanted to avoid having a TNC and wanted all to be done on the PC (Baycom
style, remember?)  had to
have a more powerful PC. Nowadays, PC's are far more powerful,
nevertheless, that principle is still valid,
and might apply to SDR with the available computing resources.

>  The one thing that I really like about this kind of community
>  supported design is that it does not become rapidly obsolete in terms
>  of upgrades and improvements. I purchased a Ten Tec Pegasus around
>  2000 or so and in only a couple of years, Ten Tec abandoned any
>  further updates to the rigs software, including the mediocre
>  interface. While you could buy several third party programs, the cost
>  made it ridiculous and contrary to the promotions of how this rig
>  would be able to be updated for a long time. So having learned my
>  lesson, I am very cautious about future claims by any manufacturer.
>  It has to be something that it has operating now and is relatively
>  bug free.

Nothing beats a wise, informed choice....You need truthful / trustworthy
info to achieve that.

>  We saw this with other digital products in the past, such as the
>  ultra expensive AEA DSP 2232 interface. Lots of promises, but it
>  never really delivered for the kind of money being asked. Partially,
>  because they could never cross license other digital modes, but they
>  also did not try and develop their own either.

My point of view is that one of the things that led to the demise of
packet on HF was using
300 baud as the ONLY signalling speed. It created a de facto standard
that was failed and
could only work well in very specific situations, and nothing was done
on a timely manner
to save it, not even by the software TNC writers, because it might not
find use against a
de facto standard, sort of a Catch 22 situation.

On packet, the sublayer on Layer 1 that defines modulation and coding
should have been
substituted a long time ago for something better. After all, AX.25
defines Layer 2, not Layer 1.

The manufacturers did nothing effective (that I know about) to improve
it, and the day arrived
when AEA declared bankrupcy "because Internet had spoiled packet radio",
and many people
saw the sinking ship, no solutions, and fled the ship. I believe it is
wrong to blame the Internet for
the inactivity on that front. I am afraid it went unattended too far
beyond the point of no return.

>  73,
>
>  Rick, KV9U

73 de José, CO2JA

PS: On a previous post, I mentioned power mosfets as mixers. I meant
high speed POWER RF MOSFETS,
like the ones used on some high end russian radios. KP905 comes to my
mind now...

XIII Convención Científica de Ingeniería y Arquitectura
28/noviembre al 1/diciembre de 2006
Cujae, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/convencion

<*> Your email settings: