Could I suggest that PAX/PAX2 be considered as candidate modems formats?

Those are very robust modem formats, far better than the traditional
Bell 103 modems
for HF, and might prove to be better than Q15X25 in poor conditions,
specially on the
lower bands. Q15X25 is faster, but requires a clean, stable channel, or
it won't work.

While PAX is rather slow, in comparison, it really fights to get the
data thru when others
fail and desist. It is better to have a slow working link than none at
all. PAX requires
about the same bandwidth as a Bell 103 modem. PAX2 is wider.

Jose, CO2JA

Paul David Gregg, KD4IDR wrote:

>--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Ken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>Hi guys, sorry it's been a while since I checked this group.
>>
>>Here's a bit of an update.
>>
>>From what I have heard the mode works fine. The only reason it doesn't
>>have better support (YET) is that there are no simple hardware
>>platforms available for it. This is why I was hoping to see Kantronics
>>   include the mode in their Kam XL. After all the XL bosts DSP
>>technology and is the only TNC I know of currently on the market
>>suitable.
>>
>>It is disapointing to say the least that years later nothing has been
>>done to offer more modern DSP modes in this TNC, after all it is it's
>>main claim to fame. Flash upgradable with the latest modes etc etc.
>>
>>Currently I receive no replies from Kantronics when emailing them
>>about this. It has been over a year now since they first started
>>development on the mode for their TNC.
>>
>>My current info from the grape vine is that they don't have a lot of
>>interest in supporting the Amateur market for their product as money
>>is more forthcomming from the commercial sector.
>>
>>This in it's self is very sad and bad news for us.
>>
>>So what does the future hold?
>>
>>I myself am currently looking at using USB sound card dongles chained
>>off a dedicated PC. Power usage is of course going to be horrific and
>>exactly the path I didn't want to go down as it will exclude such
>>setups on hilltops etc where power is usually provided by solar
>>panels. But what can you do. A TNC solution at present is going no
>>

>where.
>

>>Long term, there is no reason why a developers group couldn't look at
>>a alternative open source image for the Kam XL. While Kantronics do
>>not seem interested in making their code open source. I can't see any
>>reason why if a group started from scratch on their own version an
>>alternative could be developed that supports not only Q15X25 packet
>>but all the other packet modes and speeds currently so sadly missing
>>from the XL. This sort of thing has been done for everything from the
>>TinyTrack to DVD recorders. Where the original designers have let the
>>consumer down, people have picked up the torch and turned a great yet
>>lacking device into a killer product by getting together with other
>>like minded users and writing their own firmware.
>>
>>So if anyone is interested in this and has programming ability. Please
>>contact me [EMAIL PROTECTED] and perhaps we can start a developers
>>group to do just this.
>>
>>In the mean time all my Kam XL's will go back into moth balls and I
>>guess I will start to go down the USB sound card trail.
>>
>>Keep in mind that until a newer mode is invented, other then 1200 baud
>>PSK, Q15X25 is currently the only other option available to anyone
>>wanting to run packet on HF at a higher baudrate then the traditional
>>300 Baud. I have also heard of people running G3RUH at 4800 baud on
> [...]

XIII Convención Científica de Ingeniería y Arquitectura
28/noviembre al 1/diciembre de 2006
Cujae, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/convencion

<*> Your email settings: