I would rather use zip, rar or gzip. Maybe, bz2 for an extra squeeze.

.doc format is VERY redundant and has a minimum size around 20 K,
even if you type a pair of characters.

Possibly .odt is a good move. Even then, I would compress it.

Even using plain text, compression and uuencoding did gain a few bits.
It does not matter on a 28 K modem, it did on 1200 baud packet.

Possibly, .pdf is adding some more redundancy or a minimum payload size,
as .doc does. I have not verified this.

Jose, CO2JA

--
MSc.Jose Angel Amador Fundora
Departamento de Telecomunicaciones

XIII Convención Científica de Ingeniería y Arquitectura
28/noviembre al 1/diciembre de 2006
Cujae, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/convencion