KV9U wrote:

>  We need to continue to advance our technological abilities and narrow
>  modes do this best. We already have the modes that operate about as
>  fast as they can for a given bandwidth and robustness. What we don't
>  have are modes that can adaptively change with the conditions
>  although some can have manual speed and other attribute changes.

That's  true. Pactor II and III channel management strategies could give
some hints.

And for different modulations, RS ID seems to me a sort of "off band
signaling" that
may allow different modulations to be used in a package, not restricted
to a something
with a common ground, like what has been commonly available with Clover
first, and Pactor
later.

I see it would be interesting to "register and publish" the codes that
Patrick used by  some "central authority"
(maybe,  Patrick himself).  For me, it is similar to  the  I2C codes
that the semiconductor industry
uses, and Philips, as inventor of the concept, is the registering authority.

>  With the ability to use the internet to communicate world wide as we
>  are doing with this reflector, and doing it with substantial amounts
>  of data, there is no need for amateur radio to duplicate such
>  communications. That is why the packet system has died. It had a
>  short period of time where it was useful and when it became obsolete,
>  it was no longer supported by the necessary critical mass of hams.

Man thinks as he lives. Where there are better alternatives, it would be
silly to do otherwise.

But the world is not homogeneous, and killing packet has left many
hanging. Some may say
that Internet forwarding is an alternative, it is not a valid one for me.

Critical mass is important, and I see that wide participation is also
important. It is a pity that
we were not technologically prepared to keep it alive as an alternative.
There, we lost the
leadership as innovators.

>  As I mentioned earlier, the only possible reason for high volumes of
>  data on HF would be for emergency communications and that is a noble
>  goal. And as I have often said, in order to maintain an effective
>  emergency network of any type, it must be regularly exercised,
>  preferably on a daily basis.

It must be working. And I was a witness of quite a bit of ham to ham
solidarity in the BBS network.

>  But there is almost no interest in any HF network of this kind and I
>  have almost never found any other hams who want to do this. Even the
>  ARRL NTS/D seems to not be all that successful and does not seem to
>  be growing.

For the large non ham public, nowadays, telephone (including cell
phones, SMS, etc) and e-mail
mostly solve that need. And Winlink for ham to public communications in
remote places.

Here, there is a slowly growing interest in ham BBS's, because some
hardware has somehow
become available. But it is a problem to feed such BBS's compared with
the network
we had in the 90's.

>  In the coming year we plan to have a presentation(s) on HF digital
>  operation, including standard keyboard modes and Winlink 2000.

It would be interesting to learn about that perspective.

>  If we could send very large amounts of data via high speed digital
>  modes on amateur radio frequencies, especially on HF, what exactly
>  would we be sending that we are not already sending?

In a day to day basis, I see BBS forwarding (and BBS networks) as a need
that keeps a network alive and ready for other needs.

Here, if I keep the message content whithin acceptable limits and
safeguard that way
my license (doable, I did for more than a decade), radio is easier than
having to ask
for permission to set up Internet links, which also needs financing to
keep links running.

73 de Jose, CO2JA

--
MSc.Jose Angel Amador Fundora
Departamento de Telecomunicaciones

XIII Convención Científica de Ingeniería y Arquitectura
28/noviembre al 1/diciembre de 2006
Cujae, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/convencion