Generally, WE ALL are familiar with the ease in which we can work the world
on the
Internet.  We're all pretty familiar, more or less, with text messaging on
cell phones
and IM with YAHOO, AOL and the like.  Teens and young adults are fairly
well-versed
with the new technologies and "wants 'n gimmies" available today, that's for
sure, and
they expect nothing less today.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather use the faster PSK or 100 wpm RTTY, etc
when
typing 'cause I do type around 78 wpm.  I can fill up a type-ahead buffer
fairly easily
and it becomes a game with me to do so.  The only thing that "multi-gigibit
bandwidth"
would provide us is the ability to transfer data in some form.

I'm not sure how that would fit into daily Ham ops that do not involve data
other than
SSTV or DRM or one or two of the other modes.  I consider SSTV and DRM
simply
data despite the technical definitions and hair-splitting.  I know we could
start a hard
discussion on this involving definition of terms and I suppose anything not
voice could
be called "data."  I differentiate between PSK, etc keyboard-to-keyboard as
not being
data as such; it involves slow speed with intermittant, manual information
transfer.

I'm just saying that high speed would be useful with large blocks of "data"
or information
that is not typed manually during transmission.  High speed would allow it
to be sent
between two or more points rapidly.  ARRL broadcasts could be sent high
speed for
example, telemetry blocks from ISS, EMCOMM information and status reports,
support
requests, etc.

Most operators would not have a need for high speed comms in my opinion.
That said,
the lack of need and maybe the assumed lack of interest would not help to
promote the
advancement of our hobby technically speaking.  Experimentation leads to
innovation
and subsequent use/need development.  I didn't have any use for the Internet
and any of
its tools for Ham Radio until I started to use/experiment with it.
Restrictive and
ill-conceived FCC rulings or equally ill-conceived band plans serve mostly
to stifle ground-
breaking technological growth and development.  They can also stifle the
technology now
in use.

I'm rambling here but from my perspective, the notion of the lack of high
speed isn't the
issude for newbies.  Your comment about the magic of doing it without wires
is quite
accurate.  I experience it frequently with the neighbors while talking to
someone abroad,
DIRECT, without Internet connection.  They're simply fascinated and quite
interested,
both YOUNG and old......even while holding their IPOD and cell cam phone.
The younger
ones aren't spoiled with the technology today; they simply have it available
and we as
olders did not when young.

It doesn't make me proud to have had to "walk 20 miles through the snow to
deliver a
message" as it were.  Sometimes, there's things about the "good ol' days"
that just
aren't so nifty.  I'm 62 and I wish I could have been born just a little
later when I think
about the advances that'll be happening to the hobby and the world's
technology in
general.  Keeping a "snail's-paced approach" overall just doesn't cut it any
more.

IMHO of course........

Howard W6IDS
Richmond, IN