Well, without measuring anything on a path simulator, P III works very
well.

Uses most of the good tricks on P II, like convolutional encoding (sort
of FEC)
Viterbi (maximum likelyhood....i.e. minimum repeats) decoding, and some
clever
speed change strategies.

P III improves in modulation, keeping PSK at the maximum distance between
constellation points, which is about the same with DBPSK or DQPSK. It is
better
to keep the most robust constellation (P II did not) and add more
carriers as
propagation allows. Only very bad propagation stops P III. And it is FAST,
works when WinDRM does not.

Seemingly, P III is strong enough at 100 bauds with the rest of the
tricks it uses,
and seemingly does not NEED to hold the horses down to 50 baud. I don't
know
for sure, either.

To me, it seems that testing something on a simulator with just gaussian
white noise
does not tell the whole story. Doppler and spread delay should be mixed
in the propagation
cocktail.

Why? So far, I have been unable to get  MT63  to work on 40 meters,
NVIS.  Not so
on long distance 20 meters QSO's, where MT63 works very well.

I have been doing some measurements on doppler with Spectran on 6 and 7 MHz
broadcast stations, and I have seen up to 5 Hz doppler one evening, with
very a
complex "weaved" QSB patterns. Possibly, that may kill MT63 at 10 baud....

So far, the most robust HF mode to me is Olivia. Only once it has failed
against PSK31
in a QSO with Argentina on 40, when the phasemeter seemed to go nuts on
MixW, and garbled
PSK31 a lot, Olivia did not work.

I have had good results in tests with PAX / PAX-2, RTTYM, Contestia,
Olivia, and a voice mode
Patrick included in MultiPSK, used as keyboard to keyboard mode. To me,
so far, DominoEX at
4 baud with FEC is not as robust as Olivia. And Chip64/128 does NOT work
on 40 meters.

People say that MultiPSK's 100 baud packet mode works very well....I
have not been able to witness it so far.

So, here are my 2 cents....any other comments to amount up to a dime?

Jose, CO2JA