There is a standard used in instrumentation stuff....sort of autovolt
on DC. Those devices work on anything from 10 to 30 volts, so it covers
at least
12.0, 13.8, 24 and 28 volts.

Those devices are NOT inexpensive, and maybe a manufacturer would think
a lot
to add some regulator inside the two penny box he markets to allow using
it with
external power instead of one or two AA cells.

I believe it is not a solution for everything, but some low consumption
and not
inexpensive piece of equipment could benefit from such "standard bus". Say,
 some receivers, low output power radios, etc.

Jose, CO2JA

-----