KV9U wrote:

>  SSB nets are not running digital modes and their frequency is the
>  dial frequency, whether USB or LSB. CW nets are based on the zero
>  beat frequency, but different rigs have different CW offsets. Many
>  rigs have the ability for the operator to change the CW pitch to
>  center the received audio frequency in the filters as well as meet
>  operator preference. The other operator has no idea that you are
>  doing this as long as you are zero beat on the frequency.
>
>  KV9U

I think everything is relative, and SSB is broad enough to fiil your
filter with a single signal.
So there should be no mistakes.

But with data modes, some other reference, preferably related to its
spectrum on
the air is to be preferred, as RTTY has long done with the mark frequency.

Taking it to the extreme, on 14070 (dial) USB I can sometimes  find up
to some 20 filling
my 2.7 kHz wide filter. But it could be fairly easy to unmistakably
identify a PSK31 signal on
14071.225 among the others as a combination of dial  frequency and
waterfall frequency.
I believe it is my duty to do that math.

I am lucky enough to have had my radio calibrated to 1 Hz off from WWV.
At least, I am
trusting Spectran to say the true frequency, and on 14999 USB (dial) my
radio gave a
1001 Hz beat note.  I gave up attempting to rock the reference trimmer
with any precision
beyond that, it is really not repeatable.

73,

Jose, CO2JA

V Conferencia Internacional de Energía Renovable, Ahorro de Energía y Educación
Energética.
22 al 25 de mayo de 2007
Palacio de las Convenciones, Ciudad de la Habana, Cuba
http://www.cujae.edu.cu/eventos/cier