Rick,

You are not in possession of all the facts.

The HSMM was chartered to find out what it would take to do high speed data and
other modes on frequencies above HF.

The report showed what bandwidth we believe would be necessary to accomplish
the
task.

The HSMM Working Group's Basic Charter was not openended...and in Jan. 2007 the
board decided the WG had done its job and wanted to refine some specific works.
  The working Group was always under the Technical Task Force.

I believe that in the future there will be more working groups to meed specific
needs such as now exist with the DV group, SDR group and OFDM modem project.
WE
did prove that COTS 802.11x hardware coupd be used under Part 97.

Encryption is a subject for debate but the League feels that encryption as long
as the purpose is NOT TO HIDE the message content is within Part 97.  I agree.
Some don't.  As far as I know the FCC is aware oor should be as the HSMM and
ARRL have made no secret that hams are using 802.11x with WEP for the purpose
of
control of the access to Part 97 operations and thus far have not issued any
citations.  It is my understanding that some hams have sent letters to the FCC
telling them that they are running WEP and 802.11x on a certain 2.4 GHz
frequency and at what location and times and the individual(s) have not
received
a citation.

Walt/K5YFW