  From: Andrew O'Brien
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 8:25 PM
  Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: Straight talk on JT65a

  Good work Leigh, I was wondering about some of those -31 readings that I
could hear with my ears.  I think Olivia testing is a good thing for this
weekend.

  Bonnie, the "fad" is an interesting issue.  Certainly weak signal performance
is a popular goal, but I wonder if it JT65A is popular in part to the format.
If we used Olivia in short bursts with very structured exchanges, and the
Olivia software popped up SNR reports (like MixW does for Olivia, or PC-ALE
does for ALE) , I wonder if Olivia would outperform and be more popular than
JT65A?    I'll argue that its not just the performance  of JT65A but the
format.

  Andy

  On 4/20/07, expeditionradio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    --- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Leigh L Klotz, Jr." <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>
    wrote:
    > My conclusion is that this mode is about 10-15 dB worse than
    > it appears to be, and we should start doing more careful
    > tests alongside Olivia and plain old MFSK as controls in
    > side-by-side propagation conditions.
    > 73,
    > Leigh/WA5ZNU

    Hi Leigh,

    After a week or so of monitoring JT65A on 14MHz and 7MHz, I tend to
    support your conclusions.

    It appears that "not-pre-defined-QSO" texting on JT65A is similar to
    Olivia 250/8 for weak signal robustness on HF. Although the throughput
    of texting via Olivia 250/8 is rather slow, it far exceeds glacially
    slow JT65A.

    Nonetheless, the recent fad flurry of activity on 14076 with JT65A
    demonstrates the enthusiasm for any potential new extreme weak signal
    modes during the bottom of the solar cycle.

    Bonnie KQ6XA

  --
  Andy K3UK
  Skype Me :  callto://andyobrien73