Thank you Patrick for the explanation.  No doubt the mode has solid
theoretical resons for what it edits.  Intercomparing various digital
modes has some merit-- like for a Ph.D thesis or marketing.

However as a user, the present value edited isn't a number that is too
useful.

It apparently tells me nothing about how far below the RX noise the
signal I'm copying really is.  That's unfortunate.  Making contacts
with large -db values seems to overstate the mode's capabilities in
this regard.

It's kind of like the expensive receivers which show S9 signal levels
for weak stations-- making the purchaser happy he spend the extra
money.  Then later he finds out that the manufacturer has calibrated
his S meter in 3db (or less) increments and his receiver is perhaps
only marginally better.

For me these 6 + minute/QSO's are agony.  I'm really after some
indication of what the agony is really buying in signal reception.

73 de Brian/K3KO

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Lindecker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hello brian,
>
> The S/N referenced to a bandwidth is used to compare modes under a
noise environment criteria.
> A minimum S/N of 0 dB means that with an equal power (let's say 1
watt) of signal and noise (noise distributed over a 3 KHz band so with
a density of  0.33 W/KHz), the signal transmitted will be decoded.
> In an other mode with a minimum S/N of -10 dB, you will need only
0.1 Watt of signal for 1 Watt of the same noise to decode the text
transmitted, and so on.

> >In fact, if I'm interested in hearing really weak signals, using
the 2.1KHz filter allows weaker CW signals to be heard --
> The ability to decode a weak (CW) signal is a psycho-acoustic
problem. As far as I know, reducing the bandwidth helps down to a
limit (perhaps 500 Hz?).

> 73
> Patrick

Olivia and others