My digital Ham station on 2.4 GHz is ALWAYS encrypted and the FCC said
that's
OK because we share that frequency with a portion of the Part 15 allocation.

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Danny Douglas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <digitalradio@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: Hams should have encryption
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 07:54:48 -0400

NO encrhyption on ham bands please.  I certainly understand encryption of
messages for the emergency traffic, but then that traffic should not be sent
on the regular ham bands.  It would be quite easy for the FCC to assign a
few kc either below or above the normal ham assignments, just for emergency
use only.  Emergencies take precedence over all other communications,
inclulding ANY other service, except for emergency service freqs themselves.
So when a real emergency happens, the hams could switch from non-encrypted
mode to encrypted mode, and move down/up to those freqs.  That would
continue to true "amateur" use of our bands, let the hams still have the
equipment and practice area for such service (without changing the
long-standing rule against encryption on our bands), and still allow for
encrtyption when necessary.

Danny Douglas N7DC
ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB all