Why I threw in the towel

It is still under warranty. In-home service, no less! The tech has been here so often, we exchange Christmas cards!

Seriously, the reason I'm giving up on Gateway is the history with this machine. We have purchased six desktops and a laptop from them with great results. Until now. The hard drive has been replaced three times: The motherboard replaced twice: The power supply replaced once. And this power-down situation has been going on for three months. they replaced the CPU fan. That didn't fix it. They had me repair Windows. That didn't fix it.

The crowning defeat was yesterday, when I sent them an email asking if it could be the power supply causing the problem. I detailed all the additional peripherals I have added, such as the video card, audio card, 4-port RS-232 card, and USB devices, as well as the 3.4 Ghz motherboard they used to replace the original 2.6 Ghz motherboard! I asked specifically to have a PC designer or engineer look at whether or not a 250-watt power supply would handle this load. Their answer? "If the power supply didn't work, we wouldn't have shipped the unit". Game over.

If this were the first issue with them, I wouldn't be taking this approach. This is the eighth or ninth time I have had to request service from them for this one computer! The last time I called, the tech refused to get the supervisor on the phone! After spending an unproductive half-hour on the phone, I asked to speak to the supervisor and was told "it makes no difference - she'll tell you the same thing!"

I'll replace the power supply out of my own pocket, and simply will not do business again with the company. The only good thing about beating my head against the wall is that it feels so good when I stop hi hi!

73
Dave
KB3MOW

Danny Douglas wrote:

Dave, is it still under warranty? If not, it would be cheaper to take it to a local shop and have them check it - of course - if this new power supply doesnt fix the problem. I suspect it is NOT under warranty, or you would have been able to ask Gateway for another supply. FYI, we had over 500 Gateway computers at the college, from where I just retired a year and a half ago. We also had a few Dells, with assorted odd and ends hanging around. I even found some Commodore Vic 20 parts in the storeroom, while cleaning it out. We, and most of the colleges in Virginia use Gateway, because they are easy to work on, have extra quick service. At first, we had to answer the same old dumb questions. Is the unit turned on? Is it plugged into the wall, and the wall circuit tested? Blah Blah Blah. Until we convinced them we were NOT users, but were professinal computer people. A call to the regional sales staff, with a threat that we were looking at other companies, got us a different phone number for reporting problems. All I had to do was call, or send an email that a power supply wasnt working, a keyboard had gone bad on a desktop, etc. and they sent one that arrived the next day. That, of course is one of the problems with dealing with large companies like that. Most of their customers qualify for the "Dummies with Windows" title. So - they pretty much go by-the-book, asking questions and are afraid to skip one, no matter how much you sound like you know what you are doing. They really DO want to provide customer service: so that somone like you or me, doesnt get on a group like this one, and browbeat their good name. One lousy result with a phone calls, results in dozens of "tellings", while a good one hardly gets mentioned. Danny Douglas N7DC
ex WN5QMX ET2US WA5UKR ET3USA
SV0WPP VS6DD N7DC/YV5 G5CTB all
DX 2-6 years each
.