Depending upon your definition of "robust," and, if you are using the
modes on HF, with a wide bandwitch (voice width) ARQ mode, it would seem
to be Pactor 3 which can adjust the speed to meet varying conditions.
Raw speed up to SL6 at 3600 bps which can yield a net user data rate of
2722 bps. With compression, this can yield over 5000 wpm throughput. Of
course these are for very good conditions which is necessary for these
high speeds. The  SL1 slowest speed under the worst conditions, is 200
bps yielding ~ 77 bps and four other levels in between.

The only sound card mode that can match this with good signals was the
SCAMP protocol, but it did not have a fall back mode such as P3 had and
was abandoned by the Winlink 2000 developer.

For other sound card modes, there are few modes that have been designed
to approach even a 400 bps rate. Even MT-63 at the 200 wpm rate is well
under that speed. AX.25 at 300 baud  would not have a good enough
throughput, but 1200 baud (10 meters and up) could do this with perhaps
a 600 net throughput.

I had heard something about the voice codec a while ago and can not
remember if this was open source software or not, but it would not be
difficult to do this. Many years ago, I assembled a Heath HERO robot kit
as a demonstration project for the agency I worked with at the time and
it was relatively simple to program speech by using various phonemes. I
am not sure how useful this would be though.