There are contests that are exclusive to certain modes. As examples, we
have contests that only permit the use of voice or CW or RTTY. When
there are mixed mode contests it is not uncommon to allow double points
for CW and perhaps digital modes because they do not compete well
against voice.

This is due to the fact that contesting requires a fast exchange of
minimal information. If you have tried to use most digital modes during
contests, they are very, very, slow compared to voice. If you had a
contest where larger amounts of data were required to be exchanged, then
it would be possible for some digital modes to compete better. If the
exchange was not only lengthy, but needed complete accuracy, you would
find that only a few modes would be able to do this well and it would
likely be ARQ digital modes.

Ironically, we don't have contests of this type and yet it would much
more accurately reflect our abilities to handle emergency messages. I
have thought about this over the years and have to admit that it would
not be easy to design such a contest.

On the other hand, I have seen some comments by misinformed or very
biased folks that older modes, and they include both analog and digital
ones, are "legacy" modes, implying that the newer digital modes make the
communication more "modern" or have some other feature that works
better. Sometimes this could be true for certain applications, but it is
not true when you look at the actual use, such as a contest where the
newest modes do not compete well.