If the sound card does vary from the ideal, doesn't the correction bring
it to the correct point? As long as it is within the required + and
minus of 200 or so?

By the way, I checked the sound card in my newer HP Computer that is
running Vista and the numbers are almost exactly the right ones. In
fact, on one test the number was 11025 for the sound card sampling rate.
I may have to try out this machine again for my ham activities.
Normally, I use a 2.93 GHz emachines computer running XP for that
purpose, but as you note, it does have a mediocre built-in sound card.

I actually have a Soundblaster Live! card that is not being used, and
maybe I can figure out how to get it to work with my emachine.