The SCS Pactor modems use Viterbi encoding/decoding according to the
information published by Dr. Rink in the "RTTY Digital Jounal" in the
mid 1990's:

"Very efficient error control coding using a convolutional code with a
constraint length of 9 and a real Viterbi decoder with soft decision is
applied at all speed levels, in addition to analog Memory-ARQ."

Although the original Pactor protocol was FSK and the P2 and P3 modems
use PSK, the memory ARQ concept should be similar.

SCS does claim that P3 is more robust than P2, but at the slowest speed
needed for the worst conditions (2 tone) the two modems seem about the same.

I very much would like to see some real world comparisons between the
"ALE" 8PSK2400 modems and Pactor and other amateur modes as well.

When I look at the actual claims by manufacturers (often graphs based
upon theoretical computer simulations) the 8PSK2400 modes do not seem to
work well much below zero dB and what is even more of a concern is that
they sometimes consider  2 msecs of ISI as being a high degree of ISI.
It is not that unusual to have 5 or more msecs of ISI on the lower HF
bands, which I understand can prevent even 45 baud RTTY signals from
working.

The other claims tend to show how many messages can be sent over a time
period between two points with different sun spot numbers and it is not
unusual to show ZERO throughput without fairly high power levels.
Government/commercial sites may use power levels well above what most of
us use for digital modes, typically running at 25 watts or so with a 100
watt transmitter.