Hi Steve,

I don't see SCS holding anyone back from coming up with a similar system
tailor made for current computers. The reason you would want to do this
is to use the technologies that succeeded in working well and not
reinventing the wheel that sometimes seems to be happening with the
plethora of new modes tend to be similar. Having a few really good modes
that most hams would readily identify as being superior, would be better
than dozens of modes that are not that different.

To be fair, this was a progression over the past 25 years, since
computers became readily available to most hams, and that  means all of
us on discussion groups such as this one. We had to learn what worked
and what did not, but all modes have some good and some bad and no mode
will ever be satisfactory for all uses and for all conditions.

After trying different modes, many hams go right back to PSK31 and the
reason is that for casual keyboarding it seems to work reasonably well
much of the time.

While is is difficult to sort out all the terminology of the ALE
standards due to the overlapping of MIL-STD, FED-STD, and STANAG, I have
been working on a guide of this sort to give a little background. I did
this for myself, but plan on having it available on the file section of
the HFDEC yahoogroup (HF Digital Emergency Communications), as there
might be others who are interested.

I don't know if the 8PSK2400 ALE modems can run as well as some claim,
but I would sure like to find out. Here in the U.S. we can not use the
2400 baud modems on the text digital areas of the bands, but maybe they
would be legal if you sent documents with images, etc., on the
voice/image portions of the bands and treated them like a FAX? After all
FAX's often have only printed text material. And we can legally make the
connection on the voice frequencies due to the permission of incidental
tones for the signaling feature.

This past week I made the decision to further research this issue but
before I contact the FCC. I do have an e-mail in to Paul Rinaldo, W4RI,
ARRL CTO, to see if he has any insights in these matters. Nothing heard
back yet.

Some concerns I have with the ALE STANAG waveforms:

- When you look at the graphs of throughput to S/N ratios, they are not
really all that good. Some of the ALE modes will go below zero dB S/N,
(some of the newer ones) but then again, most of our newer digital modes
will do that as well. And the ALE waveforms cut off sharply at say -5 or
10 dB and we have modes that are working at full speed below that point,
although they do not ramp up to the very high speeds of ALE when you
have good signals.

- And those are often computer modeled ... not real world. In fact, one
of the articles admitted that when they tried some of the computer
modeled waveforms, they completely failed when used in real world tests.

- At least one person who actually maintains and deploys ALE in the
military is not very impressed with it as there are problems with not
working that well, particularly no having good throughput such as for
messaging. And these are extremely expensive modems which I understand
cost around $5000.

- The other issue is the paperwork claims of throughput vs. ISI. Many of
the specs indicate 1 or 2 msec ISI as being "robust" but on the lower
bands you can expect way more than that. The most ISI that I recall
seeing in the specs is 5 msec. Many of us have seen cases where ever 45
baud RTTY has difficulty printing even though the signals sounded
strong. My understanding is that the ionosphere can cause multipath to
exceed 5 msec and even go much higher. Under those conditions I don't
think that the ALE modems will work, but then again, maybe not much will
work except a specialty mode such as DEX (DominoEX) which can handle
extreme levels of ISI.

- Finally, and I have brought this up many times before, and will
continue to do so ... if most radio amateurs around the world can use
high symbol rate transmissions, then where are all the results of
comparison testing between these waveforms? Why do I not seem to hear
them on the ham bands? Why are hams not using them on VHF? (Note: I
would like to try this and now I think I have the capability to work the
mode on 6 meters).

How about some of the group members outside the U.S. tell us their real
world experience with the 8PSK2400 waveform? Some solid numbers or
comparisons to other modes?

And why wouldn't the entire MARS program being using these waveforms on
a daily basis since they legally can? Wouldn't it take one demo to show
how well they work?