For all you "old timers"

The 50th anniversary of Sputnik is coming up on October 6, 2007. There
are a lot of posts on the web and blogs, one web site being:
www.arrl.org about Sputnik.

Copied Sputnik on my Hallcafters S-38 E just before I went to radio
school at Keesler AFB. At Keesler they had a tracking antenna that was
configured like a Yagi, it was laid out on the ground for satellite
tracking.

Does any know the HF frequency that was used by the first
Mercury-Atlas missions? Was working at KSTP Television as a radio
dispatcher for news and photo crews on the first few Mercury-Atlas
missions. One of the engineers found the frequency and went to the
engineering lab to listen. Then the second Mercury mission copied the
down link some where on HF with my Hallcafters SX-99 receiver.

Jerry - K0HZI