Demetre,

We only need a modem with adaptive abilities for emergency
communications messaging and files plus the use of e-mail or similar
message store and forward systems. For normal keyboard use such modes
are of limited value and since most take up a large amount of bandwidth,
are to be avoided unless you need to use it. As an example, I would not
normally use 2 kHz Olivia or MT-63 for a keyboard contact as that would
be very poor operating procedures. However, if the conditions warrant
the need for a better mode, I can support the wider modes. So a lot
depends upon your operating interests. Very few hams are involved with
emergency digital communications or with e-mail at this time. If e-mail
actually became very popular, my view is that it would eventually have
to be banned since it would take up too much band width. Same thing for
phone patching, AM DSB operation, eSSB, etc. But since these niche
interests are not done that much, they should have minimal impact on the
majority of operators.

It is my understanding that right now, the PC-ALE software program has
the 8PSK2400 modem. While it can not be used on the text digital parts
of the bands, it should be useful for at least testing the capabilities
on the voice/image portions of the bands. Thus far, no one has come
forward with any testing results. The only results we have heard about
the Russian high speed modem, which uses the same 8PSK2400 waveform, or
at least something very similar, is that it does not perform all that
well. It may be that the reason for silence from the ALE proponents, who
have built these modems into the programs, is that they don't work very
well. I have asked many times and no response thus far.

FAE is basically a slightly modified STANAG modem using the 8FSK125 mode.

By the way, I would like to test this 8PSK2400 modem on the voice/image
portions of the bands (as required here in the U.S.) and if anyone would
like to test this, please contact me privately and we can try things
out. We should be able to send picture files for sure.

I should mention that in addition to contacting the ARRL CTO a while
back about some of the questions I have vis a vis the FCC regulations, I
had a number of further questions which I plan to send to the FCC. But
before I did that, I sent them to the ARRL Regulatory Information
Department and advised them that I had previously sent some of the
questions to the CTO. They were not able to answer any of the questions
that I had and forwarded them to the CTO, and I expect a response back
soon. Then I will be sending a request to the FCC to determine their
position (or lack thereof) on a number of digital issues that have not
been dealt with here in the U.S. and I believe need to be fully vetted.
Then we will have a better idea of what we can and can not do. And what
we may want to request be changed.

What bashing do you see towards Winlink 2000 in anything I have said?
There is a very good likelihood that some illegal traffic is being sent
since it is not possible for normal monitoring of other hams and,
practically speaking, this is true even if you have the $1000 modem. We
do know that some fake "illegal" messages were sent from EU in the past
to test how well the system worked to detect business type messages. I
don't know how many messages get through but some apparently do.
Eventually, if the offenders are caught, they are blocked from using the
system. The rules here in the U.S. are no different than when BBS
systems are handling similar traffic.

I agree that if we don't use a system regularly, then when we need it,
we won't know how to use it, or little things will not be in place, etc.
and it may not work. That is really the only reason that I can support
e-mail via ham radio. If it was not for the emergency component or
public service, I would strongly oppose this.

As far as Linux OS goes, I have not been able to get it to work with my
equipment to a satisfactory manner. It has to work at least as good as
MS Windows XP and Vista, both of which are good for the end user. I have
tried Linux off and on for over 5 years, but truthfully, the more I have
used it and tried it out, the less impressed I have been:( I am sorry to
report that, because I really thought that I would like it, considering
the intense hype about Linux.