The digital systems being proposed for emergency use require a rig
with antenna, a computer with soundcard and functional software. Also
an operator trained with the protocol in use. Right?

My perception of emergency situations is that just having a
rig/antenna available and working may be no small task.  Throw in the
need for the a working computer, sound card and and software and
you're adversely affecting your ability to respond?  Seems like that
to me.  The more parts required, the less chance they will all work.
The more power used as well.

What about the guy in the field with an HT?  Where does he fit in?
Certainly you don't expect him to be digital.

I must be missing something... My perception is that the most reliable
and practical system must be a minimialistic one in terms of parts and
complexity.

73 de Brian/K3KO