  From: expeditionradio
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 6:32 AM
  Subject: [digitalradio] QSO or QRM? ...or Contest?

  The recent RTTY contest leads one to ponder:
  "Why don't we see much backlash against contests?"

  By orders of magnitude, contests create more QRM
  than any other cause on ham radio. They commonly
  render multiple ham bands nearly unusable for
  normal communications, for several days at a time.

  Yet, contesters creating maximum QRM are
  exalted as champions and Great Operators
  by the ham magazines and organizations.

  Why is a little QRM is bad,
  but vast and continuous QRM is wonderful?

  As quite an avid (and now reformed) contester myself,
  I'm very curious about this phenomena.

  73 Bonnie VR2/KQ6XA