Jose,

Just as you were posting this message I was stumbling on a web site that
agreed with your comment.

With further searching I think I have the relationship. The QEX article has
the statement that to go from the 3kHz bandwidth used you "subtract 34 dB
and add 10 log of the desired bandwidth in Hz". But I think he has it wrong.

My search found that you adjust by taking 10log(BWoriginal/BWdesired) and
adding it to the given figure. I think the author neglected to consider that
the power of the signal is unchanged during the calculation. The result is
you need to add 19.82 dB to the reported values to obtain the SNR for a
31.25 Hz signal.

As proof (I hope <g>):

Signal: 3000  Noise (3kHz): 3000      SNR(dB): 0
Signal: 3000  Noise (31.25Hz): 31.25  SNR(dB): 19.82

Where the noise is 1 Watt-s per Hz.

The article reports that PSK-31 work down to -12 dB in AWGN this actually
means it work to 7.82 dB. The channel capacity for that SNR per
Shannon-Hartley is 88 bps. PSK-31 attains less that half the channel
capacity.

Rud Merriam K5RUD
ARES AEC Montgomery County, TX
http://TheHamNetwork.net