  From: Rud Merriam
  To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, November 06, 2007 20:10 UTC
  Subject: RE: [digitalradio] Testing Digital Codes at Bit Level

  I understand about the use of soft decoders.

  If the protocol uses a soft decoder and another hard decoder the latter works
at the bit level. A standard example is using Reed-Solomon for the hard
decoder. Would the bit flipping be representative of the atmospheric effects
for the outer hard decoder, e.g. RS decoder?

  Rud Merriam K5RUD
  ARES AEC Montgomery County, TX
  http://TheHamNetwork.net