Rick,
Your no ground situation + high power is a recipe for RF problems.

Try some 1/4 wave counterpoises connected to the rig ground.  You can
have multiple ones for different bands connected simultaneously.
People who live on second and third floors have the same problem with
long ground paths.  Counterpoises help them sometimes.

Cheap and easy.  Sounds like you need <10 db of improvement and these
may be enough.

73 de Brian/K3KO

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, Jose Amador <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Rick,
>
> Every wire "under the influence" of your radiating antenna can be a
> feedback pickup path.
>
> Try to minimize currents, ferrites are your best friends. Use only
> capacitors in shunt to ground
> only after a choke to minimize currents.
>
> All the  homebrew equipment I have built has  an RF filter in the power
> leads,  L first and  C after.
>
> I had to wind some ten turns of my speakers power cable on a mid size
> toroidal ferrite core
> (salvaged fom a defunct 100 W commercial radio) to quiet down the
noises
> of PSK31 and Olivia.
>
> In a course of a certain solid state high power broadcast transmitter I
> learned that EVERYTHING
> that enters the transmitter cabinet passes thru some ferrite core
FIRST,