Whether you are an accomplished contester or traffic handler, it comes
down to the same skill set of being able to get information from one
point to another. The contester usually does this with rapid exchanges
of minimal information, but requires considerable skill in hearing weak
signals in the noise and "pulling them out." And doing it with
consistent accuracy if they are a successful contester.

The traffic handler rarely has this kind of challenge but it can happen
with poor band conditions. Most traffic handling/emergency work consists
of being passive rather than active but then when the message is being
sent or received, requires accuracy for a much longer exchange than a
contester. But the skill set is really about the same because once you
handle many words or callsigns, you get a lot of practice copying
correctly. My experience with new or inexperienced hams has been
shockingly poor with their inability to copy basic messages with solid
and clear signals.

In terms of equipment, there is no question at all that a contester will
do well with emergency lashups. We see this every time at Field Day. The
less experienced hams are not sure of what to do. We don't have many
hams in our county with actual traffic experience other than myself. But
the active contesters/DXers are able to easily set up antennas and
equipment in short order.

The home QTH contesting antennas are not necessarily relevant for
"local" HF work, but could be useful for getting out of an area under
some conditions. In most cases though, you don't communicate through the
contester's station if you are setting up for emergency locations.

My wife pointed out to me a few minutes ago that it has consistently
been the experienced contesting/DXing type hams who are the ones who
tend to be much more efficient in handling traffic. Many of the newer
and less experienced hams, and rag chewer types, such as casual
operators, tend to be much less efficient in their operation, with wordy
and rambling conversations rather than the more appropriate response you
would prefer to see.