--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, W2XJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think the whole thing is pointless. Why to I want to try to send
email
> via a slow speed serial stream when I have 100 meg Internet on the
> computer next to the rig? I firmly believe that these systems are too
> organized to be dependable in an emergency. That is when you loose a
lot
> of infrastructure. Simple systems, temporary installations all with
some
> form of emergency power is what is required in an emergency. Modes
> should be those that can be supported station to station. Basically if
> it is not part of the rig, it is too complicated for an emergency. Now
> that CW is not an FCC requirement that is no reason to abandon it as a
> primary emergency mode. It is still the mode that permits one to
> accomplish the most with the least.

What about the Radio Hams that do not have the luxury of 100 meg
Internet that YOU ENJOY, or don't even have a 56k dial-up connection?
What about the ones who travel the world in a boat, in an RV, the ones
that are on holiday away from home? What about the ones who travel in
places where not even a mobile phone can operate? Are these not Radio
Hams?

Not to mention emergency situations where these "Extremely Wide" HF
Networking Digital Modes like PACTOR 3 might assist. (2.2 KHZ wide,
less than a voice channel, hmm some width, don't you think?) .

Helping in Emergencies is number ONE PRIORITY in every Amateur Service
all around the World!!! From what I have read it is also number ONE in
USA.

QSL card collection (although I do not dislike it) is not number ONE.
It is number TWO in Amateur Radio.

Are you trying to tell us that number ONE priority is worthless???

Everyone has the right to exercise their hobby in the Ham Radio Bands
OM. And don't tell me that PACTOR 3 operators do not listen before
they transmit. They always listen because they want their transmitters
to stay cool, especially if this HF radio they are using is their only
means of communication. Makes sense doesn't it? At least I hope it
does to you!!!

73 de Demetre SV1UY