Demetre SV1UY wrote:

>  So what you are talking about PACTOR 3 being the only offender is FAR
>  AWAY FROM THE TRUTH OM.
>
>  There is no system today that has such a DETECTOR you are dreaming
>  about.

My station does.  A human operator.

>  Finally if you are so adament about such a detector why don't you
>  write one that works (you already own an SCS MODEM) and give it for
>  free to the Radio Amateur community?
>
>  I know why. If you did that you would not have anything to whine
>  about!!!
>
>  73 de Demetre SV1UY

OK, a couple of points.

1.  No one is defending W1AW or the other practices that involve
transmitting without listening.  I happen to think that all such
practices are morally wrong and legally questionable.  Regrettably, the
FCC has already said that W1AW can get away with its broadcasts.  A bad
call, but there you are.

2.  Pactor is far more ubiquitous in its transmit-without-listening
practices than anything else on the air.  The Pactor community flatly
refuses to change its practices, and they routinely QRM innocent QSOs
with impunity and indifference. Mark's superb petition will help curb this.

3.  I sold my SCS modem because Pactor as a Keyboard-to-Keyboard mode is
as dead as Julius Caesar.  No matter what a few outliers may say, Pactor
is dead as far as ordinary ham radio goes.  It is now solely a mailbox
mode, used mainly to provide cheap, inefficient internet service to
those who are not able to hook up to the usual internet grid.  Doesn't
sound much like ham radio to me.  Other commercial services are a better
provider of this capability--it is not appropriate for amateur radio.

4.  I am a yachtsman myself.  I can attest that very few yachtsman use
amateur radio, let alone Pactor, for even a tertiary communications
system when at sea.

5.  Winlink is largely irrelevant to emergency communications,
propaganda to the contrary.  Having operated emergency communications in
numerous fires and earthquakes, I can attest that Winlink was never a
resource.  The simplest modes, i.e. FM and SSB, provided the bulk of
amateur-supplied communications.  Simpler is better.

de Roger W6VZV