Hi Rein,

Thanks for a straight answer.

As you probably know , I am no Linux hater. I am running several Linux
system my self ; PClinuxOS  ( http://www.pclinuxos.com/ ) on my small
DELL400 laptop, this is really a great distro of Linux, and ClarkConnect
( http://www.clarkconnect.com/ ) as a Server OS.  But my main computer
is running XP, that why I would love to see a windows version of pskmail.

"Can you start the existing .iso from that?" Yes and it is working fine.

73 de LA5VNA Steinar

Rein Couperus skrev:
 > Hello Steinar,
 >
 > there are 3 main reasons why I cannot port pskmail to a windows
 > platform. Although pskmail is written in Perl, which is multi-platform,
 > it uses a lot of linux bin tools which are not available for windows,
 > and I simply don't have the time and the windows-specific knowledge
 > to port those to another platform. I am not doing this for the fun of
 > writing software, I do it to generate the applications I need to live
 > my life as a ham, and which are not available. I happen to prefer to use
 > Linux on my computers. Moreover, I use fldigi as a PSK modem, and
 > there is no windows equivalent which allows me to do the same, it is all
 > closed source so I cannot add an interface for pskmail, and I don't
fancy
 > to write the umpteenth psk program for windows.
 >
 > In fact I started pskmail for 2 reasons. I needed internet access in
order
 > to upload software patches to the intenet for TLF, the Linux contest
program while I was
 > spending the winter months in Spain in an RV using low power and bad
antennas.
 > I had tried winlink, but it did not work properly for my puposes.
Secondly I needed a system to upload
 > log files to the internet while I was on dxpeditions which had no
internet
 > access (remember 5A7A had no internet access during the fist 5 days).
 > Thirdly, I use it to provide one of our hill top contest locations
with DX
 > cluster data and other information. The rest is 'nice to have'. We
can check email
 > and information on the web whenever and wherever we are. My email is
90% ham
 > related, and we visit an internet cafe about once a week to get the rest.
 >
 > Pskmail is open source and GPL'ed so anybody with the time and the
skills
 > can take it and put it on windows. I have other, ham related projects
in the
 > pipeline which are more exciting than porting software :)
 >
 > I have made the qemu windows version for a friend who finds linux too
difficult.
 > His laptop has 512 MB and the only thing he had to do was unzip the
file in his
 > \C: directory, click 1 file to install the kqemu driver, and install
the Penguin on his desktop.
 > He now uses pskmail as a normal windows app, and with 512 MB RAM he can
 > run other windows apps at the same time.
 >
 > Of course your mileage may vary.
 >
 > 73,
 >
 > Rein PA0R
 >
 > PS I will try VirtualBox one of these days. Can you start the
existing .iso from that?

I have

Pactor

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digitalradio/database

 >> Yahoo! Groups Links

Announce your digital presence via our Interactive Sked Page at
http://www.obriensweb.com/drsked/drsked.php

View the DRCC numbers database at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digitalradio/database

<*> Your email settings: