Hi Andy,

Yes I am sure it is legal now.

I am copying Rick's response to a question about MFSK16 SSTV posted in this
group a while back:

Rick said:

Yes, thanks to Mark, N5RFX, who petitioned the FCC last year, the
decision was made to allow any kind of image transmission (analog or
digital) in text digital portions of the bands here in the U.S.,
provided that they are 500 Hz or less in bandwidth.

The FCC redefined "data" to include image when under 500 Hz and can be
found at:

      ยง97.3 Definitions.

(c)(2) Data.Telemetry, telecommand and computer communications emissions
having (i) designators with A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first
symbol, 1 as the second symbol, and D as the third symbol; (ii) emission
J2D; and (iii) emissions A1C, F1C, F2C, J2C, and J3C having an occupied
bandwidth of 500 Hz or less when transmitted on an amateur service
frequency below 30 MHz. Only a digital code of a type specifically
authorized in this part may be transmitted.

Here are some interpretations of the ITU Emission Classifications:

A1C = DSB AM digital FAX with no subcarrier

F1C = FM FAX digital modulation with no subcarrier (MFSK)

F2C = FM digital FAX with subcarrier

J2C = digital SSB FAX with subcarrier

J3C = analog SSB FAX