The problem with knowing where to tune any signal can be solved
completely by use of RS ID (as in MultiPSK, PocketDigi etc). It amazes
me we have had this technology for over a year now and very few people
seem to realize the potential of this.

Even with s/n ratios down around -15dB MultiPSK will successfully lock
on to the center frequency of any mode and also switch to the correct
mode/parameters.

In the real world there is always going to be some mis-tuning and
although the IFK modes have excellent tolerance in respect to this if
someone is 500Hz away they aren't going to decode your transmission,
especially if they can't see it on the waterfall. Sending an RS ID
before will get them on frequency instantly.

73, Sholto
KE7HPV.