Here is an idea that Olivia developers might care to consider.

People often remark that it's difficult to set up the right parameters
when receiving Olivia signals. There are potentially eight possible tone
settings to choose from (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 and 256 tones) and
five possible bandwidths (125, 250, 500, 1000 and 2000 Hz) -- a total of
40 possible combinations -- making it almost impossible to choose the
right combination before the signal disappears.

Out of these 40 possible tone/bandwidth combinations, there are probably
up to 8 that are in popular use: 4/250, 4/500, 8/250, 8/500, 8/1000,
16/500, 16/1000 and 32/1000. Even so, narrowing the choice down to these
8 still takes too long. What is needed is a simple way of indicating
which combination is in use at the start of transmission.

This is where we can make use of the capability to display text
characters in the waterfall. If we allocate a code for each
tone/bandwidth combination, and display that code as text in the
waterfall immediately before transmitting the Olivia signal, it will be
possible to set up the correct parameters very quickly, in time to
decode the signal.

A possible coding scheme could be as in the table below. The most
popular combinations are indicated with asterisks.

Each code is preceded by the letters "OL-" (for Olivia), to identify the
mode. So, for an 8/500 signal, you would see the characters "OL-12" in
the waterfall before the Olivia signal starts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OL-Code    Tones / Bandwidth

OL-00         2      125
OL-01         2      250
OL-02         2      500
OL-03         2     1000
OL-04         2     2000
OL-05         4      125
OL-06         4      250  ***
OL-07         4      500  ***
OL-08         4     1000
OL-09         4     2000
OL-10         8      125
OL-11         8      250  ***
OL-12         8      500  ***
OL-13         8     1000  ***
OL-14         8     2000
OL-15        16      125
OL-16        16      250
OL-17        16      500  ***
OL-18        16     1000  ***
OL-19        16     2000
OL-20        32      125
OL-21        32      250
OL-22        32      500
OL-23        32     1000  ***
OL-24        32     2000
OL-25        64      125
OL-26        64      250
OL-27        64      500
OL-28        64     1000
OL-29        64     2000
OL-30       128      125
OL-31       128      250
OL-32       128      500
OL-33       128     1000
OL-34       128     2000
OL-35       256      125
OL-36       256      250
OL-37       256      500
OL-38       256     1000
OL-39       256     2000
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This idea could even be extended to other modes, substituting a
different code in place of "OL".

I believe that Olivia is greatly under-utilized because of the
difficulty in choosing the correct tone/bandwidth parameters when
receiving a signal. Being able to select the parameters quickly by
reading the code in the waterfall should go a long way to promoting more
Olivia activity.

Comments anyone?

--
73