>I suspect that the USB port on your phone will not be useful for using the

>phone to control anything.  That's because most USB devices are not

>configurable to act as USB host devices.

>Using the sound ports on the phone are probably the more likely possible means

>of connection.  The use of VOX for EMCOMM generally is intended to apply to

>actual live-microphone circumstances, which if you have the SignalLink plugged

>into the speaker/mic connector on the radio, probably doesn't applyBob,
Thanks for the info.  I was leaning towards the SignalLink solution as the most
viable since I share your suspicions about being able to easily control the USB
data link on a phone.  I'm taking the ARRL emcomm course now so I'll double
check with my mentor on the VOX issue but I'll get the SignalLink box anyway.
For $70 I can't go wrong as a starter learning tool.Mike