From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Graham
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:30 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] Re: Has anyone looked into FPGA-based digitalmodes?

Packet, Pax or ARQ FAE, at least to be able to share the frequency
(collisions must be managed),

Why not take the final step and code a narow band spread spectrum
packet system ..using very narrow bandwith short packet bursts based
on the ax25 system .enhanced by spread sprectrum . the system could
fit inside the bandwith taken by one of the 'narrow' multi  tone
systems ?

G ..

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Lindecker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> For my small experience about ARQ modes, it seems to me that:
>
> * a modern ARQ system does not really need a synchronous scheme as
in Pactor
> (with obligation to permanently exchange frames). It must be
asynchronous as
> Packet, Pax or ARQ FAE, at least to be able to share the frequency
> (collisions must be managed),
>
> * I don't think a powerful coding is really necessary. I think a
ratio of
> 1/2 (one information byte received for two bytes transmitted) is
sufficient
> (as in ARQ FAE or ALE DBM). Big block codings as in JT65 or Olivia
with
> ratio of 1/5 or less would be exagerated and  will decrease
drastically the
> characters throughput. I don't think convolutional codings are
conveneint
> for ARQ modes as you must introduce a relatively big delay before
deciding
> what was the received characters. These codings are more
convenient  for
> continuous modes (as in PSK63F),
>
> * an "ARQ memory" is absolutly necessary. You can forget coding but
you
> can't forget this tool. It is equivalent to a repetition coding and
it
> permits to reduce drastically the number of retries,
>
> * if you have an "ARQ memory" the minimum S/N is not given by the
message
> itself  but by the possibility to detect the frame. If you detect
the frame,
> you will be sure to decode it  (directly or through one or two
retries).
> This means that you could do a system very quick and also sensitive
in the
> same time (if you accept the number of necessary retries).
Practically, the
> minimum S/N will be determined by the speed of transmission of the
frame
> prefix (in ARQ FAE , for 50 bauds the minimum S/N is about -13 dB.
This
> means that for 500 bauds it would be -3 dB and for 5 bauds it would
be -23
> dB). The speed prefix transmission must be independant from the
message
> speed transmission,
>
> * if I would want to do a very quick ARQ mode (but I'm on very slow
modes at
> the moment), I will prefer a THROBX modulation (a choice of 2
carriers over
> n) than an OFDM, this because the maximum power transmitted is very
low if
> you want to keep linear (1/sqrt(n) if n is very big).
> A configuration with a mean power/peak power below 1/3 is not a
good
> configuration.
> I would switch from a non coded transmission (good conditions) to a
coded
> transmission (bad conditions) according to ionospheric conditions
(as
> determined on frames reception). A predetermined (i.e known)
sequence as in