Thanks for the return comments, Tony, and especially all your work in
helping us understand these modes better. I have been looking at the
data and comparing baud rate which directly relates to the length of
symbol and I suspect that many of what we thought of as the most
sensitive modes may, depending upon design, work poorly with anything
other than calm ionospheric conditions. The MT-63 minimum S/N varies
considerably depending upon the width of the signal which is how I came
up with the comparison. Because of the redundancy in MT-63 you do get
amazing ability to withstand what would otherwise be an obliterated
signal. But the price is a very wide bandwidth mode that unfortunately
causes QRM too. Imagine if everyone who is using PSK31 switched over to
1K or 2K MT-63. It would be very difficult to operate in the narrow area
we have for text digital modes. I try and use only 500 Hz and narrower
modes that I consider to be appropriate for HF use, unless the bands are
severely disturbed and there are few other stations on at the time.

Do you or any other group members have any experiences with comparing
the lightning static abilities of MT-63 (various widths) to THOR and the
new MFSK modes that are designed into the fldigi program? I did a recent
comparison of MFSK16 on fldigi and Multipsk but found roughly the same
results, even on very noisy circuits. I plan to do more testing.

Does anyone know the difference between MFSK31 and MFSK32?

THOR appears to be Domino EX with FEC. How does this compare to
Multipsk's Domino EX/FEC? Are they similar but too different to
intercommunicate?

Finally, Tony, do you think that you could eventually do additional
testing to measure what parameters are the cut off point for the various
modes?

I don't know enough about ionospheric disturbances to know if you can
only have Doppler (such as polar flutter) without having multipath at
the same time. I seems reasonable that you might have one or the other,
but most times (as you have tested) you have some of each.

 This would be a rather large undertaking but it seems to me that it
would be very valuable to know just how the modes drop off for various
levels of Doppler and multipath. So you would know that 5 msec is the
most you can handle for a given mode, or 3 Hz Doppler. And then to make
it even more complicated, where is the drop off point for various
combinations? Is this something you could do at some future time? That
way, we would have even more revealing comparison of modes and what they
can and can not do under increasing difficult conditions.