From: Patrick Lindecker
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Sent: 11/23/2008 4:15:19 PM
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: Olivia mode comparisons, testers needed.

Hello Andy,

The Multipsk code is not better than the Pawel's design. If I had to rewrite
the code, I would prefer to use the Pawel's design because it is simpler.
Simply when I wrote it, I was used to do this way (as with MFSK16, PSK31...)
and moreover, I had doubts about the precision of a double-estimation by
symbol. 10 estimations per symbol seemed to me much better, but of course, it
would have be necessary to load much the CPU, so I forgot it.
But I was wrong, because under a good S/N, this precision (double-estimation by
symbol) is not necessary and under a bad S/N, it all cases this precision is
homogeneous with the precision of symbol estimation.

Note: it is reminded that, under noise, the quick degradation of decoding is
due to :
* the loss of symbol synchronization,
* the imprecision of the symbol estimation.
This can be seen in an "eye" diagram.

73
Patrick