John,

You have confirmed what others already know about P3.

I sold my PTC IIex last year, when the Winmor protocol was announced to
be in development.
It should introduce an ARQ mode to compete with P3, but will not replace
it.

I had the SCS in a go kit with either a Yaesu FT-897D or and Icom
IC-7000, manual antenna tuner, switching power supply, sound card
interface, USB to 8 Serial port converter, communications speaker and
sometimes an auto tuner.

http://www.se-hams.com/html/emcomm1.html

That go kit has also found it's way into the Netcomm Magazine, as well
as World Radio in the past year.

It allowed me to setup remotely, string a dipole (actually put a
furniture moving pad on top of the car and a tripod to be a center
support, with ends staked to ground) in NVIS configuration.  Then, the
best demo was to send email (actually SMS messages) to various
volunteers (read unbelievers) cell phones.

For spice, I could include the location, time and frequency to show how
unlikely it would be for me to connect to a RMS at that time of day, on
that band, covering that distance.

When this got boring, I substituted the rig for an Icom IC-703+ and
lowered the maximim operating potential to 10 watts.  With that combo, I
could connect to around 80% of the RMS stations that I picked based on
time of day, frequency and distance.

I know there will always be folks that will not accept P3 within the
amateur spectrum.  It is a real shame, because it could really make the
Amateur Radio Service stand out in an emergency with serious loss of
infrastructure.

As it is, the Winlink system is really concentrating on the MARS
services and direct to the served agencies on NTIA spectrum.    One
major catastrophe, and the lack of the amateur community to move high
volume traffic over long distances may bring unexpected consequences if
the Amateur Radio Service is evaluated as compared to the MARS services.
The jury is still out on that.

But, as you have stated, P3 does an amazing job of connecting and moving
data at much higher than expected speeds under the worst of conditions.
Add the ability to utilize binary (compressed) format with attachments
of which the size limit can be controlled on the fly by collaborating
with the RMS operator, or event specific, routing formats, and priority
determination by subject line...  You end up with a protocol that can
move a served agency's traffic in the format that they are accustomed to
using, to be retrieved by the intended agency, using their WL2K system;
already in the EOC, or their agencies support group.

Winmor and P3 will serve side by side in the RMS stations in the near
future; bringing the best of both worlds.  But, when speed, accuracy and
ability to cut through the worst of conditions are the criteria on which
success is determined; P3 will still come out on top.

David
KD4NUE