With the varying discussions about the performance of specific modes , and the
comments about lack of activity for some modes, I present the following list of
5 modes the digital mode ham should have...and probably all you really need.

1. PSK31 (and other variants up to PSK250) , plenty of activities both brief
and "rag chew"  , activity 24 hours per day. Use PSKmail to send email if you
wish.  Consider QPSK for tougher conditions . ARQ PSK available in FL-digi for
emcomm work (available for free via Winwarbler. FL-Digi , DM780, Multipsk,
Pocket PSK and MMVARI.

2. RTTY still DX to be had via this mode and contesting if you like contests
((available for free via Winwarbler, FL-Digi , DM780, Multipsk, MMTTY, and
MMVARI.

3. JT65A.  If low power DXing is you thing, this is your mode.  Brief exchanges
of signal reports and location, no "conversation" mode (available for free via
WSJT, Multipsk, and soon to be released JT65-HF)

4. Olivia , weak signal capable plus keyboard conversations.Wide and narrow
versions to vary with conditions ((available for free via  FL-Digi , DM780,
Multipsk, )

5. Feld Hell.  Good speed, surprising robust, a fair amount of activity, easier
on your duty cycle that other modes, not good after a couple of beers.
((available for free via  FL-Digi , DM780, Multipsk )

That's it, all you need.  Yes, I left out MFSK16 despite it being a good mode.
It is too "fusy" at times and most things you can do with MFSK16 ,you can do
with an Olivia variant.  MT63 is effective but just too much of a bandwidth
hog, hardly any activity.  If you don't want the super robust brief exchanges
of JT65A, you could substitute DominoEX but you could go a week without hearing
anyone else.  MFTT at quarter speed seems useful, has promise.

I won't count ALE as a specific "mode" but will still argue that all hams
should be ALE capable.  Still a great concept. Pactor..well great at P3 but
costs too many Euros.  The rest can be great fun, but if you want just five,
the above are what you need.

Andy K3UK