Jim,

I agree with you completely about Clover II. Some years back, when I
would call CQ, I would sometimes get a connection with Ray Petit, W7GHM,
(the inventor of CCW, Clover and Clover II), but with our distance and
dipole antennas, could rarely do much more than trade the path
information, HI.

Clover II just did not have a robust enough mode, which was somewhat
surprising since the base modulation was 4 PSK31 tones. At the time the
Winlink system used both Clover II and Pactor (some Amtor until that was
phased out), but when they switched over to the Winlink 2000 internet
based e-mail system, they dropped Clover II support so that really
decreased use of the mode.

WINMOR is an openly published protocol (perhaps not quite finalized yet)
that anyone will be able to develop if they have the ability and
interest to do so. This means it could be used in existing programs or
even in a new program that would insure ARQ and adaptability for peer to
peer communication.

This is vital for those of us who have a serious interest in public
service/emergency communications. We primarily need the ability to
connect to other stations on a peer to peer basis, but having e-mail
access to the internet can also be useful, assuming the internet is
working where you need to move traffic.

Based on the protocols for WINMOR, I wonder if it will sometimes be more
robust than Pactor modes of which the most robust, even with P3 is 2
PSK100 tones separated by about 700 Hz. I have never seen any published
information on the tolerance for ISI and Doppler and I suspect it may
not be all that much based upon Tony's results with various modes.