HF Packet is also sensitive about the baud rate, 300 baud Packet won't decode
if you are set up for 1200 or 9600 baud. Note that no difficulty was
experienced in decoding from the recording at the proper aud rate, despite some
obvious signal fading.

>From my QSO at the southern tip of Texas, I QSO every day with a 300 baud
>Packet station located 25 miles short of the Canadian border, and have done so
>throughout the solar minimum. Using modern tuning technique, we encounter very
>few resends.

HF Packet will transfer data if the two stations are not aligned, but then you
get resends and a very slow data transfer rate. That typifies HF Packet in the
past, where tuning was a matter of luck as much as anything else. These days we
use a waterfal display to get on the same frequency, and the difference is like
night and day. - Am working on 'snap tuning' to make this process automatic.

Most of the disparaging talk about HF Packet is motivated by politics, and does
not come from actual knowledge. If you talk to the PC types who disparage
Packet, it turns out that very few of them have any recent experience with the
mode, they're still stuck in the 1980's.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

n5...@uspacket.org