From: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com [mailto:digitalra...@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Rick W
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2009 11:38 PM
To: digitalradio@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [digitalradio] MMTTY VS MMVARI, et al.

After all these years, I finally downloaded N1MM Logger and spent some
time with it today. Even logged a few contacts during the ARRL June VHF
Contest. Previously, I could not get it work with Vista. The web site
might even lead to believe that it may not be supported on Vista. But
after doing a search on Vista + N1MM, I found a detailed tutorial from
Bob, W1QA, that showed that I was mostly doing things correctly ...
except for one little security procedure that I have never had to do
with any other program and would never have figured out on my own, HI.
And it turns out that the program is not as complicated as I had
thought. In fact, the interface can be kept quite simple for the entry
window.

>From what I understand, N1MM requires either MMTTY or MMVARI if you
wish to interface via a soundcard for RTTY and some digital modes.
Apparently, other digital sound card programs, such as fldigi, can not
work with this logger as it is tailored to the MM programs. I am not
sure that there are any cross platform contest logging programs so it
means you almost have to stay with MS Windows, especially for what I
would consider to be ultra high end programs such as N1MM.

Can anyone give us a comparison of MMTTY and MMVARI?

I understand that Dave, AA6YQ, has been able to update MMTTY. But then I
have read that some hams have found MMVARI to decode better under some
conditions. And I get the impression that only MMTTY will be updated
with MMVARI "frozen" in beta (but a pretty darn good beta from past
experience).

Also, does anyone have some first hand experiences with how the HRD
Logging program will work as a contest logger compared with N1MM?

Lots of questions, but I bet some of you have the answers, HI.