> AX25 allows several stations to operate within a bit of spectrum wide enough
> for one. For example, up to a dozen Q15x25 stations can operate within one
> 1k to 3k ( depending on how you scale the modems ) slice of spectrum.
>
> ARQ modes that do not operate under AX25 are incapable of this, and so are
> far less spectrally efficient,

If spectral efficient means bytes per spectrum (kilohertz maybe) per
time - then it's far more efficient to time multiplex where stations
take turns passing traffic rather then trying to simultaneously use
the spectrum.   That's the same reason we all have home run 100 base T
networks and switches on our personal networks instead of hubs or
coax...   The overhead and problems of sharing a channel are
throughput killers..

> 73 DE Charles, N5PVL

More later...

Bill - WA7NWP