I want to thank everybody for the wonderful comments, it has been most
instructive.  Although much of the technical parts were over my head ((for the
moment anyway)) it reinforced what I instinctively knew.

Only use enough power to get out, not overdrive the sound card, not use my
radio fix dinner on, and finally #1 use an external sound board and not the
laptops internal sound card.  I suspect that is 90% of my issues.  When I was
using my Linux box (it has two sound cards, an onboard and an external Sound
Blaster) I was getting good reports, it has only been since using the laptop
that I have no joy.  This however is a discussion left for another day.

Hint: fldigi by itself good, fldigi and xlog or similar application together
not good.

Once again I want to express my appreciation to the community for their help.

- 73

    Ralph (AJ4GR)