Subject: W1AW and 80m psk31 interference
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 00:04:58 -0400
From: Rik van Riel
To: w1aw

To whom it may concern,

The W1AW broadcasts are a great tradition and a help to some
amateur radio operators, and do not seem to be in the way on
most of the amateur radio bands.

However, the W1AW CW broadcast on the 80 meter band, on 3581.5
kHz, is right in the middle of the psk31 sub band.  Needless to
say, a high power CW station pretty much wipes out the nearby
psk31 signals, which are typically transmitted at low power.

While strictly speaking it is legal to transmit CW anywhere
on the band (I will not go into the legality of broadcasting
on the ham bands), I believe we can agree that putting a strong
signal right in the middle of a band segment dedicated to lower
power operation is not what the ARRL's "Considerate Operator's
Frequency Guide"[1] would call considerate.

Because putting a high power CW broadcast in the middle of the psk31
sub band (which sees activity whenever there is propagation) is
guaranteed to cause interference to active operators, I hope you
would consider moving the W1AW CW broadcast to a frequency where
interference is merely a possibility and not a guaranteed issue.

The interference issue is especially severe due to the fact that
the W1AW transmissions are scheduled on an almost daily basis,
several times a day[2], wiping out the 80m psk31 subband for a
significant fraction of the time.

Since the W1AW CW broadcast is an automatically controlled
transmission, maybe it would be better in the band segment assigned
to automatically controlled data stations (3585-3590). Another good
choice could be 3579.5 kHz, which would put the W1AW broadcast
500 Hz below the psk31 segment, just like it is on the 17 and
15 meter bands.

kind regards,

Rik van Riel, AB1KW

[1] http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/conop.html