I would like to put in a few words in defense of the ARRL.  I learned the code
prior to getting my novice license in 1955.  At the time, that was just about
the only way one could learn, at least on a kid's salary.
These transmissions have been on forever, so I do question why this frequency
was used as the primary PSK31 frequncy.  W1AW was already there.
And the ARRL has been our BEST friend.  Hams work many modes, from CW (A1)
through advanced digital and signal enhancement (spread spectrum).
For me, ham radio led to a carreer as an electronics engineer, designing
receivers, transmitters, and RF components for over 40 years.  I am now
retired, and am again active in Ham Radio.
I think this gives me a long term, if quite personal, perspective on the
subject.
Ted Stone
WA2WQN (the Well Qualified Nut)