Hi Andy and Jim,

Andy, thanks for the review and I concur with your views on the subject. The
nice part is that we have choices for each application and these choices are
more and more affordable as time passes from a hardware perspective, as well as
offering ever increasing features.

Jim,

The RSID feature of Fldigi is already implemented in the alpha version of
Pskmail and is in fact in test on a few servers with success. This requires the
(currently) alpha version of fldigi (3.13AK onwards) which has RSID running in
the background while in parallel listening to the currently selected mode.

So the operator can either choose to send a postion report/connect in the
default mode or have RSID on and connect in a different mode. The server will
adjust its timings automatically.

These servers are listed as "Receive RSID ON" in the server list of the wiki.

As for the change of speed, Pskmail servers already implement an automatic
block size adjustment depending on the number of repeats.

>From the client, the operator can already, during a session, make an
>"on-the-fly" change of mode (even without using RSID for that matter). The
>server will switch then to the new mode and continue the exchange.

Since we can already control the Fldigi mode from within Pskmail client or
server, we are now looking at the next step which will be to measure the
quality of the link both ways, and switch modes/sub-mode according to the
conditions.

But regardless of the above, your point about using RSID for beaconing is of
value and will be looked at.

Links to the above available on request.

Thanks and best regards,

John (VK2ETA)

<snip>