Hi Andy,

I suppose this would be confusing to someone not used to FM operation on a
multi-mode rig.  In all modes, ALC is a function of transmitter output power.
In SSB modes we keep our transmitted digital signals clean by running our
transceivers below the power level that causes ALC to be generated.  In FM,
however, the transmitted signal is a constant level carrier.  The audio
modulation from the sound card causes the frequency of that carrier to
'deviate' above and below its unmodulated frequency.  What we care about on
digital FM is how clean the audio at the receive end is.  The ALC reading
reflects only how much RF we are putting out, not what the modulation looks
like at the receiving end.  Remember that essentially all voice FM transmitters
use some sort of peak audio clipping to limit how wide our modulation
'deviates' to keep it inside the pass band of the receive IF filters.  When we
run digital FM, we need to keep the audio drive low enough that we are not
driving the transmitter audio section into clipping.

Setting the audio drive level for digital operation with an FM transmitter is
not quite as simple as for SSB.  We really must monitor the actual transmitted
signal while we make that adjustment.  That can be tricky without a deviation
monitor but it can be done by comparing your own digital modulation to other
known good signals.

That said, though, a little extra distortion is not quite the problem on FM it
is on SSB.  On FM, audio distortion will generally not interfere with other
stations.  It may look bad on the water fall and may not decode quite as easily
as if the level was correct but it will likely still work OK.  That is why we
can get away with just holding a handy talkie up to the computer speaker to
operate digital modes on VHF FM.

That make sense?

Gary - N0GW