.snip
>From our mobile phone, we can instantly call a friend
on their mobile phone in a distant part of the world,
and it will ring... Can you do the same thing with
your ham radio?
-----snip

Yes I can do ….. with echolink … but there is something missing in the
system …

It should be possible to connect to an echolink node and tell the node that
you are available via this node (with dtmf tones)

Something like the mybbs in the packet net ….

Nowadays if I move through the country I have to start the contact to my
hamfriends at home cause they do not know where I am in this moment ….

If I wanna connect o another friend who is somewhere in the country we have
to make a sked on a third node

(1 node where he is, 1 node where I am and another node that we know the
number of to make a sked)

In the other way when telling the system that you are in the area of node
xyz it would be a lot easier …

Somebody knows my nodenumber at home or calls me via call sign … the system
knows that I am not at home but available at node xyz ….

Now there are different ways

The node where my hamfriend connects to echolink tells him: dg9bfc is
available at node number 12345

Do you wanna connect? Push button 1 ….. node says : you will be connected to
node 12345

Do you wann leave a message? Push button number 2 …. And leave the message
in the system

Now echolink makes a store and forward to the node where I am and plays the
message

that would be an echolink system what I would like more as the today system

no question echolink is good but it could be used from more hams if it was a
bit better in some cases

hams who don´t even have a computer have a unique number cause you can also
call in echolink with the callsign

hams who have connected to echolink with a pc have more than just one number

the number code from their callsign and the nodenumber from the pc when they
are at home

so when somebody calls my homenumber and the pc is off …. there could be an
announce that tells the other guys that I am not at home but reachable via
xyz

or an announce to leave a message (at my home pc if available or in the
system with s+f) … etc. etc. etc.

soooooooo ….. echolink is quite good … but could be made a bit better …..

just my 0.02$

dg9bfc

sigi

ps if somebody in this group knows the programmer of echolink please feel
free to store and forward this mail to him …. Maybe he likes the idea